Monday 8 December 2014

Making jam, among other things

I've written pages in my head since the last post...however, am not sure how this is going to work for someone who is introverted and who finds it difficult to be on show, but then what are the chances of anyone reading this when there are millions of blogs?
So why, I've been wondering, did this seem like a good idea ?

A difficulty for a long time has been providing a definition of what I do, which it seems - in many people's minds -  also defines what I am.
In my own head, I'm just me..without a label...the words 'artist' or 'sculptor' belong to other people.
What I do is make things and the (good?) idea was to have a space in which to be just a maker of things.
And now I'm doing the introvert thing of deeply pondering my motives for putting it out there...ambivalence, or what?
In the spirit of "what happens if I...?" which I believe is a driver shared by scientists and creative people, I'll see what happens if I carry on.

Making - jam
Nothing original to say here...the best bit is playing around making the labels and decorations.

Making - mistakes

Brief back-story...Three years ago when I was in Maine, I saw rag rugs in an upmarket shop. At the time didn't know what they were, but loved the look of them. Earlier this year while browsing images (which I do a lot) I saw rag-rug courses by Debbie Siniska in England and although the timing didn't work for me, by connecting her with the Ennis Creative Arts Centre, she ended up coming over to Ireland and I went to her workshop.
Yes, there are plugs going on.

Now I'm hooked (I know, dreadful pun!) - this is rug number one. The mistakes are that the loops are too short, so bits have come undone already - and the colours are much brighter than I had intended...I was trying for a naive/primitive look. Steep learning curve. It's now in front of the stove and is beginning to look a bit better as it gets dirty.

Making it better
(will I be able to keep up thinking of headings with the word 'making'?)
Rug 2, not quite finished yet...
Based on beach stones from the end of  the road, this one has both hooking and prodding...loops are longer this time, tension still a bit uneven and am not happy with the shape of that big stone...it's been altered since the photo was taken. Pleased with the way I used sparkling silver fabric for the crystals that run in seams through these stones.

And the photo for the design..



No comments:

Post a Comment