Wednesday 10 December 2014

Making more...


Rug number three....
Which brings me to the topic of Pinterest. Yes, it's a great resource (never mind that it's funded by big business which is quite possibly using it as a consumer research tool) but I do wonder if it isn't demolishing the last remnants of the concept of intellectual property... if it's on the internet it's fair game for copying.
Even if it's not on the internet it seems to be fair game. A friend of mine was recently at a trade fair and was annoyed to see people taking photos of her work on their phones and drawing diagrams of the patterns. Is it ok to do that?
Having said that, we do draw on sources outside of our own imagination and I don't know exactly where the line is drawn between blatant plagiarism and inspiration.
So- rug number three is rather heavily based on a design seen on Pinterest. I claim no credit and would acknowledge the designer of the original if I knew who it was.
The second one is mine, not yet hemmed...the colours aren't quite true to life. I was aiming for a naive look, which I think is sort of there, but my colours are a bit bright.. the black background makes the colours look richer.

Making masks
For this year's  Hallowe'en event Naomi and I stepped down our involvement, so instead of a full-scale shadow puppet play, it turned into a street theatre performance. How fatally easy it is to say those three little words ..."I'll make it". Of course, having said I'd make the masks, I put it off from day to day until it was a bit of a panic to make it in time. I did feel self-conscious doing it, but
took pictures of the process with this blog in mind.So doing this is changing my behaviour.


The nearest art shop is 50 miles away, so before cutting up large pieces of card I make small maquettes -something I often do just to get a feel for how to construct a shape...and just for the record, I rarely get it right the first time..or even the second time.

the mask..
...in action
And the idea for the mouse came from an image on the internet, as did the hedgehog



No comments:

Post a Comment