Sunday 8 March 2015

Made it...

Having asked yet another favour from Seamus and Adam, transport is arranged for the ram tomorrow...so I had to finish it by today or be very embarrassed.
Last week layers of paper went on - alternating newspaper with white, with extra layering (some of it as muslin soaked in PVA) on the added bits like hooves and knees...and a lot of waiting while it dried thoroughly.

5th March...only three days left...the final layer is on.


7th March...legs and face painted with 'not-black' (raw umber+ultramarine+cadmium red), starting to sponge the darkest shade...covering first one bit then another with cling-film and/or paper towels...Lying on the floor to paint the underneath.
Have to stop when daylight goes. Not happy with how it's looking.


Today, 5pm...some 'technical advice' (as he called it) from Adam, whose eye for colour is amazing ...he mixed a colour that looks much, much better... and the base coat is repainted, then two more coats of sponging, progressively lighter...more lying on the floor, pressing a sponge into rear-end crevices.


6.00 pm...and more covering of various bits as the horns are painted with a very dilute wash of raw umber, then it's into the dark/light roundabout...touch up the dark edges, accidentally touch off the light part...touch up the light area...see a bit you missed. At this point I'm almost standing on my head while trying to see around all angles of the horns. NB - if I should ever make anything like this again, I'd paint the horns before joining head to body...having the ears/horns/neck so close to close to each other on this side has made it very tricky to paint...although I did know it would.

6.30 pm... now to tie my hands behind my back, so I'll stop fiddling..it's finished.



I just wish I could have a better picture of it....

No comments:

Post a Comment