Thursday 26 March 2015

Making money (or art?)

It seems that in some people's minds, money and artists don't go together. Some years ago, in conversation with a young woman I said that what I was making was not financially viable. She was horrified that I would see my work in that way because "it's art''....and it wasn't until later that I thought of a smart (ish) comeback ( don't you hate when that happens?) ...I don't pay any less than anyone else for gas or food because what I do is 'art'. I'll admit that like many creative people I do give away my time and then grumble about people expecting something for nothing.
So - this time I didn't say "it's ok, it took only an hour". I've never yet met a solicitor or plumber who said that, which could be why I've never seen one driving a 15-yr old car either.
It possibly took a little longer than an hour...

Covered in cling-film (saran wrap in the USA, I think) and covered with alternate layers of newspaper and white paper...

....and some extra shape added with paper towel and masking tape...
more layers .... this is working at my lowest level of skill...

...and so is this...

I cut up sacking and glued it on...it was like a cross between putting sprinkles on a cake and sprinkling on glitter ....at this point I'm thinking they look like buns covered in bits of shredded coconut, which isn't that far off the mark...
...because it's a coconut bra.
I didn't enquire too closely at the time - I think it's for a man who is playing a mermaid in a stage performance...and a real coconut was too small.

Is it "Art"? If it is, then I didn't charge nearly enough for it.







No comments:

Post a Comment